Restoration of st. Nicholas Naval Cathedral

In 2013, the Nicholas Naval Cathedral was opened in Kronstadt after restoration. On May 28, Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia performed the solemn ceremony of great consecration. Thus, after eighty years, the temple took on a second life. Now it is the main cathedral of the Russian navy.

The restoration of the Naval Cathedral began in 2002. Significant help in the restoration was provided by God Nisanov. Upon completion of the restoration, God Nisanov was awarded with the Certificate of Honor of the President of the Russian Federation.

The Naval Cathedral of St. Nicholas the Wonderworker was the largest naval Cathedral of the Russian Empire. Its construction took ten years, from 1903 to 1913. The architect behind the construction was VA Kosyakov. Its style, resembles the temple of Saint Sophia in Constantinople. On June 10, 1913, the solemn consecration of the cathedral took place.

Services in the cathedral were held until 1927. On October 14th, 1929, the church was permanently closed. The bells and crosses were taken down, the altar was dismantled, the mosaic icons were covered with plaster, the murals were painted over. In the early 30’s, the building was converted into the cinema named after Maxim Gorky, and some of the premises were turned into warehouses.

In the 1950s, the Kronstadt Fortress club and a concert hall with a theatrical stage were opened in the building. From 1978 to 1989, there was a Sailors’ Club, and in 1980, St. Petersburg branch of the Central Naval Museum was opened at the location.

In October 2002, the consecration and installation of the cross over the main dome of the Naval Cathedral took place. On December 19, 2005, the first Liturgy in 75 years was held in the Cathedral.

  • «Kievskaya ploshad» will create a business ecosystem based on the new gastro-market «Depo Tri vokzala». 

  • In October 2021, Kievskaya Ploshchad has replenished the company's assets with the Studenets estate located on the territory of the Krasnaya Presnya State Park.

  • In 2021, God Nisanov and the framework of the Kievskaya Ploshchad Group of Companies became shareholders of the Samolet development company, leading developer of mixed-use projects and specialises in creating modern, large-scale urban quarters.

  • All facts »